Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Wal-Mart Cometh


You might want to read this first unless you're from Austin: http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/more_on_victory_austin_tx/

About the photo - I took it awhile back but kept forgetting to post it. There's a skating rink that moved from the mall to the other side of the parking lot, and I skate there Saturday mornings. I don't usually drive all the way through the lot, since there are fences and construction everywhere. One day I did, and this is what greeted me. I was totally shocked.

I tried to find a photo of the Northcross Mall before it was torn down, but I couldn't. You'll just have to imagine that there was an entire mall where this destruction is now. My fiance and I used to live in an apartment complex across the road. When we first heard about the fight against Wal-Mart we kind of rolled our eyes. Where were these concerned citizens when the mall was there and dying? Were they shopping there; were they helping the local businesses in the area?

When we heard the size and scope of the Wal-Mart plan, how the trucks would be going down residential streets, and how there was no way the streets would be able to hold all the extra traffic, it got a lot more serious. We're all used to seeing Wal-Mart on the highways and interstates, but a 200,000 sf 2-story monster with attached parking garage in a small neighborhood? Is that really necessary? No. I'm so glad we bought a house and moved.

1 comment:

  1. Todd and I drove by there the other day and he said "What's that?". It's like he'd completely forgotten all of the controversy once we moved out of the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete